Native American College Visit to OSU-October 30th
Native American students interested in touring OSU, need to sign up with Mrs. Costner ASAP. I have to register you with the NYCP folks. Deadline to sign up is Monday, September 25th. This is open to all 10th-12th graders.
Wanda Pierce will be here, Thursday, October 12th from 2:00-7:00 to help seniors and their parents fill out the FAFSA. All students attending any post secondary school must fill this out—whether you qualify for financial aid or not. Wanda is great at her job and is a big help. Seniors will receive information that is needed. You will need to sign up for a time-slot on the schedule on my door to meet with her. If parents cannot attend, then students can bring all the info needed to take care of it. No, you do not have to have Wanda help you, but remember, the money is first-come-first-serve basis. Take advantage of this opportunity.
A new solution will encrypt the applicant’s or parent’s information and hide it from view on both the IRS DRT website and the FAFSA web pages, strengthening the privacy and security of the sensitive personal data transferred to the FAFSA from the IRS. With this additional enhancement, the IRS DRT will be reinstated when the 2018-19 FAFSA is released on Oct. 1.
Read the full explanation of IRS DRT changes in Federal Student Aid’s electronic announcement.
Masonic Lodge Essay Contest
If you would like to participate in the Masonic Lodge Essay Contest, it is upon us. The deadline to turn in your entry to Mrs. Costner will be Wednesday, October 25th Money is awarded locally for 1st – 3rd place winners in both men’s and women’s divisions at the local level—guaranteed. All essays are sent and graded at the Masonic Charity Foundation for our state. If any essays are selected at the state level as winners, the Lodge will notify us. (I know the deadline on info sheet says October 31, but I need them early to make sure I get them mailed in on time).
Citizen’s Bank Board
Applications have already been handed out in senior English classes. If you were missed, please get one from Mrs. Gastineau or Mrs. Costner. Three seniors will be nominated from our school t o Citizen’s Bank to become a member of the Student Bank Board that will meet monthly. Students must fill out application and return it to Mrs. Costner by Wednesday, September 6th. No late applications will be taken. We have a panel of educators that will review the applications and select the students to represent our school.
Congrats to Samantha Hammonds, Garrett Wallis and Tanner Wofford for being chosen to represent Allen High School!
I have downloaded information for scholarships for Chickasaw students. You can pick up the applications from me or you can click on the following link and apply online: http://www.chickasaw.net/Services/Higher-Education-Grants-Scholarships-Incentives.aspx#governors
ACT National Test Dates and Information
|Test Date||Registration Deadline||(Late Fee Required)|
|September 9, 2017||August 4, 2017||August 5-18, 2017|
|October 28, 2017||September 22, 2017||September 23-October 6, 2017|
|December 9, 2017||November 3, 2017||November 4-17, 2017|
|February 10, 2018||January 12, 2018||January 13-19, 2018|
|April 14, 2018||March 9, 2018||March 10-23, 2018|
|June 9, 2018||May 4, 2018||May 5-18, 2018|
|July 14, 2018*||June 15, 2018||June 16-22, 2018|
Test fees: $46.00 and $62.50 with writing
Fee Waivers are available for students who qualify. You can use two fee waivers total during your junior and senior years. So you can use one your junior year and one your senior year or two your senior year. You can also apply for additional fee waiver through your tribal affiliation or upward bound. You cannot use them for late registration.
Wendy’s High School Heisman Scholarship
Once again, Wendy's® High School Heisman® is awarding a total of $150,000 in scholarships to the nation’s most accomplished scholar-athletes. With winners from every school, 100 State Winners, 10 National Finalists, and 2 National Winners, your graduating seniors have lots of ways to join the ranks of more than 600,000 past winners—including several of your school’s very own.
Deadline to apply is October 2nd by 5 p.m. If you put me (which is a good idea) down to review your information, it has to be reviewed by October 4th by the person you chose to review it. Make sure you let the reviewer know that you applied so they do not miss the deadline.
Scholarship Links—I add to these weekly—That’s why #s are mixed up
These are scholarships that are sent to me weekly that you are able to look at and see if they apply to you.
The Scholarship Programs below are accepting applications from students between August 23rd, 2017 and October 31st, 2017. Please read the application instructions on the website carefully before applying.
2. Don't Text and Drive Scholarship - September 30, 2017 (1 Award - $1,000) http://scholarshipguidance.com/scholarship_dont_text_and_drive_scholarship_8997.php?&utm_source=newsletter01&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=201708&utm_content=243d35f8f60d84902c0f96217f8ecf5c
3. College JumpStart Scholarship - October 17, 2017 (2 Awards - $1,000) http://scholarshipguidance.com/scholarship_college_jumpstart_scholarship_8976.php?&utm_source=newsletter01&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=201708&utm_content=243d35f8f60d84902c0f96217f8ecf5c
4. Coca-Cola Scholarship - October 31, 2017 (150 Award - $20,000) http://scholarshipguidance.com/scholarship_cocacola_scholarship_9001.php?&utm_source=newsletter01&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=201708&utm_content=243d35f8f60d84902c0f96217f8ecf5c
5. Horatio Alger Scholarship - September 25, 2017 (106 Awards - $25,000) http://scholarshipguidance.com/scholarship_horatio_alger_scholarship_8950.php?&utm_source=newsletter01&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=201708&utm_content=243d35f8f60d84902c0f96217f8ecf5c
6. YDI Scholarship - September 29, 2017 (1 Award - $1,000) http://scholarshipguidance.com/scholarship_ydi_scholarship_9015.php?&utm_source=newsletter01&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=201708&utm_content=243d35f8f60d84902c0f96217f8ecf5c
1. KFC REACH Educational Grant Program - September 28, 2017 (50 Awards - $3,000) http://scholarshipguidance.com/scholarship_kfc_reach_educational_grant_program_9154.php?&utm_source=newsletter01&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=201709&utm_content=243d35f8f60d84902c0f96217f8ecf5c
2. MyProjectorLamps Scholarship - September 30, 2017 (2 Awards - $500) http://scholarshipguidance.com/scholarship_myprojectorlamps_scholarship_9156.php?&utm_source=newsletter01&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=201709&utm_content=243d35f8f60d84902c0f96217f8ecf5c
3. Money Metals Exchange Scholarship - September 30, 2017 (5 Awards - $2,000) http://scholarshipguidance.com/scholarship_money_metals_exchange_scholarship_9155.php?&utm_source=newsletter01&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=201709&utm_content=243d35f8f60d84902c0f96217f8ecf5c
4. Burger King Scholarship - December 15, 2017 (10 Awards - $50,000) http://scholarshipguidance.com/scholarship_burger_king_scholarship_9020.php?&utm_source=newsletter01&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=201709&utm_content=243d35f8f60d84902c0f96217f8ecf5c
5. VIP Scholarship - September 30, 2017 (1 Award - $5,000) http://scholarshipguidance.com/scholarship_vip_scholarship_9000.php?&utm_source=newsletter01&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=201709&utm_content=243d35f8f60d84902c0f96217f8ecf5c
6. SP Scholarship - September 30, 2017 (10 Awards - $10,000) http://scholarshipguidance.com/scholarship_sp_scholarships_8953.php?&utm_source=newsletter01&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=201709&utm_content=243d35f8f60d84902c0f96217f8ecf5c
2. Wendy's High School Heisman - October 2, 2017 (100 Awards - $10,000) http://scholarshipguidance.com/scholarship_wendys_high_school_heisman_9158.php?&utm_source=newsletter01&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=201709&utm_content=243d35f8f60d84902c0f96217f8ecf5c
3. Pinot's Palette Scholarship - October 31, 2017 (1 Award - $1,000) http://scholarshipguidance.com/scholarship_pinots_palette_scholarship_9159.php?&utm_source=newsletter01&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=201709&utm_content=243d35f8f60d84902c0f96217f8ecf5c
4. Siddhi Yoga Scholarship - November 30, 2017 (1 Award - $1,000) http://scholarshipguidance.com/scholarship_siddhi_yoga_scholarship_9160.php?&utm_source=newsletter01&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=201709&utm_content=243d35f8f60d84902c0f96217f8ecf5c
In order to be nominated for Academic All-State, you must have taken your ACT by December 1st. That means you must have taken the ACT by the October date and meet the requirements which include a 30 on the ACT. Please let me know ASAP if you meet these qualifications.
Oklahoma Academic Scholar
To qualify for this award, you must attain a 3.7 g.p.a. and score at least a 27 on your ACT. This award is turned in around March 1st. Please let me know if you meet these qualifications.
Senior Honor Student
In order to qualify to be an honor student at Allen HS, you must maintain a 3.50, meet the State Regents college entrance requirements and either take an extra math or science. This info is more detailed in your handbook. Please let me know if you have met these qualifications.
College Athletics--NCAA and NAIA
If you are planning to participate in athletics in college, now would be a good time to check out the NCAA website to find out what you must do to gain entry. It is your responsibility to inform us of your intentions at an early age. It is imperative that I know as your counselor to make sure you take the right classes. Go to http://www.eligibilitycenter.org to find out what you need to do to qualify and to enroll in the program for NCAA. For NAIA go to http://www.playnaia.org/eligibility-center. If you are going to play sports in college at an NCAA or NAIA school, you must register at the appropriate site. Make sure you inform me that you have registered. They do not tell me.
Your students can now begin submitting their admissions application to attend the University of Oklahoma for the fall 2018 semester! We encourage all students to apply by December 15 to be considered for our general freshman scholarships.
OSU-UP CLOSE—lets you see campus from the perspective of a student. Check out classrooms and labs, talk to current students and faculty and get an in-depth look at your academic options. Registration and $20 per person is required by 5 p.m. Monday, October 16th. Fee waivers are available for those who qualify. For event registration or additional info, go to: http://admissions.okstate.edu/osu-close
Event Schedule 2017-2018
Oklahoma State University hosts numerous events throughout the year to give students a better look at the university and what it offers. We also host daily campus tours that give students the opportunity to preview being part of the Cowboy family.
Follow Us on Social Media
If you don't already, please follow us on our social accounts by searching Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Snapchat for BeAnOSUCowboy. We update often and it's another great source of information about what's happening on campus.
2017 Important Dates
July 1: Application opens for students about to begin their senior year of 2018
These aren’t the college rankings you’re used to. Schools are grouped by unique strengths and characteristics, not just “the top 10.” This way, you as students have more—and better—college options. So you can find multiple schools that fit your needs, wants, and budget.
Whether you’re a longtime fan of The College Finder or this is your first time hearing about it, we hope you find these college lists helpful. And stay tuned for updates on the release of the 2017 edition of The College Finder from our friends at Wintergreen Orchard House!
Click on Scholarship Saturday for Scholarships
This website updates itself. So click on it weekly to see what they have added.
- HS seniors can apply starting June 1st (summer before senior year) to December 1st (of senior year) on www.afrotc.com Approximately 1500 scholarships awarded nationwide each year
- These scholarships pay tuition and fees (amount based on type of scholarship offered), $600 annually for books, and a tax free monthly stipend of $300-$500
- See the attachment ‘Talking Paper – HS Schol Pgm’ for more information (I have this in my office)
Air Force ROTC
- Air Force ROTC is a three- or four-year program that prepares college students to become officers in the USAF
- Students do not need to be on an Air Force ROTC scholarship to join
- Students can major in any field and be in Air Force ROTC
- Students can participate in the program for up to two years without incurring a service commitment
- In-college scholarship opportunities are available for students who join the program and excel
- See the attachment ‘AFROTC Det 675’ for more information (I have this in my office)
- See the attachment ‘How to Become an Air Force ROTC Cadet’ for instructions on how to join(I have this in my office)
I hope you find this information helpful. If you have any questions or would like additional information, please do not hesitate to contact me!
Thank you for your time.
ALYSON N. GOOLSBY, 1Lt, USAF
Recruiting Flight Commander
AFROTC Detachment 675
334 Cate Center Drive, Cate 4/Rm 405
Norman, OK 73019
OU Debt-Free Teachers
University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center
College of Allied Health
405.271.6588 ~~ www.ah.ouhsc.edu
Department of Medical Imaging and Radiation Sciences
Bachelor of Science
Nuclear Medicine, Radiation Therapy, Radiography, Sonography
High School Early Admission Program
The high school early admission option for the nuclear medicine, radiation therapy, radiography, and sonography program at the University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center was created to offer outstanding prospective students the opportunity to secure a position in one of the Medical Imaging and Radiation Sciences programs prior to graduating from high school.
Admission Requirements – High School Early Admission
To be considered for admission, an applicant must:
Application Procedure – High School Early Admission
Requirements if Conditionally Admitted
Applicant must complete the following after acceptance into the program:
A student admitted to the program must satisfy all the admission requirements before beginning the program and must maintain at least a 3.25 cumulative grade point average and a 3.25 science grade point average on a 4.0 scale. Prerequisites must be completed within 2 years after high school graduation but no later than the end of May the year the student enters the program. Transcripts of all classes taken are required to be submitted at the end of each semester. Contact the College of Allied Health Office of Academic and Student Services with advisement questions. Should a student not fulfill the requirements, the early admission is forfeited and the student may apply through the regular admission process.